2011/02/03

Bow Chicka Wow Wow & The Bonus Post

This would definitely be my desktop...

... If it weren't for this ridiculous screenshot of Clova
from G-Side's new "Inner Circle" video.

Thesis
Everyone loves bonus posts! Two posts in one night! Above is evidence of one of the many joys of a bonus post, like double the usual amount of pictures to kick off our thought process for the post.

Yes, the blog is influenced by the image at the beginning of every post (sink your brain teeth into the connection between the above images and the content of this post). Also coming into play is whatever music happens to be playing while I'm writing.

At present, the music is Mike Posner and Lil Wayne's "Bow Chicka Wow Wow." It's a deliriously catchy and harmless song. The production, musical arrangement, and lyrical content are operating in perfect harmony to create a Cute Radio Song. And what's better - or more listenable - than a Cute Radio Song? Nothing! It's times like these when I sometimes feel that a harmless song is as powerful and useful as a harmful song.

Harmful Songs
You know, like stuff that's abrasive or challenging. The Psychic Paramount (what I'm now listening to) is abrasive in its energy and drive. It's powerhouse noise rock, propellant and exciting. Except, now that I think of it, this album isn't very harmful. And it's certainly not challenging. Except to your neck - as it does promote head-banging. Um.

Anyway, #METASWAG is Not A Music Blog.

Motivation
But that begs the question, What is #METASWAG all about? In a confluence of readings (de Beauvoir, Butler, some evolutionary theory stuff, and the effect of realism on literature), my mind has become super preoccupied with the nature of my reality and purpose. Heady stuff for head-banging, no?

Check it out: if life itself has no purpose (which for all purposes, it doesn't really really), what purpose does blogging serve? This isn't a nihilist rant. I'm seriously feeling cheery, fam. And the life not mattering thing - that's not true. Like, I don't really believe that, I just needed to throw out an extreme with which to contrast the total silliness of blogging. Because like, Life is Good because you can form connections with other Human Beings and have Experiences that Mean Something. Okay, the meaning is hella tricky, but the experiences themselves are worthwhile (I would argue, if arguing weren't so tiring).

Oh yeah, blogging. So - blogging is tired, too. And how can it Mean Something? It's the result of a culture of self-indulgence that allows for us to think our writing (life) is worthwhile. A similar shift took place centuries ago, when the individual first became important enough to write about as an individual - Kant, Enlightenment, the birth of the Novel, swag, etc.

I guess the origins and meanings aren't really that important, because it's just psuedo-intellectual mumbling. What I'm really trying to get at is The Thesis behind #METASWAG. Because when I made that list of shout outs to friends' blogs, I noticed that all of their blogs were written with some expressed goal in mind. To communicate desires, to share recipes, to exhibit creative output, to tell stories - all of these things are Cool and Interesting.

#METASWAG is, among the blogosphere of my friends, distinctly without a Thesis. I dreamed it up as some sort of Space for my low and highbrow musings on daily happenings. Or maybe as a place for lists. Here, I could even demonstrate that I like music as diverse as noise, Southern rap, and black metal (thus proving my Hipsterdom). I'd be able to communicate with a fictional set of readers.

When I first began, I was so convinced that I was shouting into the void that I treated the blog more as a diary than a column. How things have changed, and delusions of grandeur have set in.

But what's the point?
Well, the point here seems to be that #METASWAG (like all blogs?) is pointless. Without direction. There are some overarching trends - lists, music, rambling - but there are no ends. Or none in sight. A possible point is that I get to exorcise my demons in a place where people can choose to witness the spectacle or not. Because I already have valuable friends to take care of the heavy stuff, I can dump the less important Stuff of my mind onto the Internet. And if people read it, I get to feel Doubly Accomplished.

SWAG
Feeling Based. Feeling like I accomplished something just now.

To keep this blog exciting for me, I might try out some more lists (like, the really big ones - BEST MOVIES EVER, BEST ALBUMS EVER - that sort of thing). Or maybe incorporate record and movie reviews more regularly. I guess that would be a Thesis. A directive.

For now, the directive is keeping my swag on.

Conclusions
It's hard not to capitalize a lot of Nouns when you're reading 18th century writing. Though we've essentially had two snow days in a row on the IU campus, I've managed to sleep in for neither. To reward myself for this lack of sleep, I'm going to sleep-in tomorrow.

And that, fam, is cause for (sleepy) celebration.

Go to sleep

&
Think about This:


Those are human beings;
Isn't That silly?

Dream

4 comments:

  1. Though you summarized my blogger identity hella well in the last post, I would have to argue that I, too, am stumbling through the 'sphere without a clear thesis or objective. My directive is to blog without crying about blogging.

    Who was the first person to say "Bow Chicka Bow Bow"? Was it a ten year-old boy? I don't know; I have to make breakfast.

    Fone ya 2morrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of the phrase either, but it's a darn good song.

    Stoked for FRIDAY FUN FONE ZONE, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doublecomment for doublepost:

    -I like whatchadidhere
    -Vid at end makes me want to watch That Kind of Wrestling, or at least read a book about it or something
    -Speaking of 18th century + books: trying to read Robinson Crusoe right now, having a hard time of it. Probably Doing It Wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lanie what! I just finished Robinson Crusoe! I liked it. Getting through the tedium pays off.

    It helped me to read it and think about how totally insane he is. How he's willing to go through the mundane details of his existence, and how there are cracks in the facade of his sanity - like what he teaches his parrot to say or when he declares himself King of the Island.

    So yeah, Daniel Defoe isn't a master of suspense, but it can be entertaining if you consider what Crusoe's Really going through internally, and not just what he's saying he's going through.

    ReplyDelete